February 23, 2008

Another reason to love Lynchburg

Last Saturday my son and I went to the local elementary school's playground. It's an amazing large all wooden playground with lots of fun stuff in it. Many of the kids from the various surrounding neighborhoods gather there to have fun and to look for other kids to play with. Quite often there are pick up games of baseball, football, or basketball. There are also benches for us old folks to sit on and read or watch our kids have fun.

But the thing that I love so much when we visit this playground is not the great equipment—it is the fact that in Lynchburg the kids are polite to the adults and play well together. Even kids of significantly different ages play well together. It's wonderful to watch and brings a warmth to my heart that is hard to explain.

Last Saturday we met two teenage girls and a young girl who had just turned three. The four of them played together and had great fun together for about two hours. Just before we all left to head back to our homes, the three-year-old got a splinter in her hand. You can see one of the teenage girls and my son looking at the young girl's hand and comforting her. She was very brave.

The pictures in this post are all from this past Saturday there at the playground. There are many levels at which my family fell in love with Lynchburg. This is just one layer of what makes Lynchburg wonderful.

You just have to visit. But use a U-Haul—you're not going to want to go back to wherever you were from to begin with.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Rich...The four years I lived in Lynchburg were incredible. I could definetly see myself moving back. The only thing, I would need a job. My parents are actually considering retiring between Lynchburg in Charlottsville. They love it down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep plugging along, Meg. I never thought things would be as they are now regarding my work situation. My office is in DC, but they allow me to work from Lynchburg almost all the time. So I get the best of both worlds -- decent employment and a delightful hometown.

    We'd love to have you back (and your parents too). You all are invited to our house whenever you can make it.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.