February 05, 2010

And the snow came down

Our house at about 5:30 pm

At 5:30, David noticed that the snow that had been falling lightly all day had increased in intensity. So I grabbed my camera and David and I went outside to take a few pictures of what appeared to be the beginning of the big storm.

Then we ate dinner. While we were eating dinner, we heard the weather forecaster say that this storm is likely to be the biggest snow/blizzard in history for the Washington, DC, area. Multiple newscasters echoed the call for folks to stay off the streets saying that driving would be “life threatening” and “extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.”

Our house at about 5:30 pm

So at about 7:00 we went back outside to take a few more pictures and to shovel the front walk. There was much more snow than before. It took me about 1 minute to shovel the walk but when I finished and turned around, the end of the walk where I had begun was already completely covered again.

The view from our front porch at around 7:00 pm

Then, as I worked on these photos that I took at 5:30 and 7:00, the newscaster said that Dulles Airport (our local weather center) reported 7 inches of snow on the ground with the snow falling at a rate of 3 inches per hour. Yikes!

The streetlamp near our house at about 7:30 pm.
No wonder the snow is piling up so quickly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.