December 16, 2008

Keeping Christ in mind

Colossians 1:9-14
We have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

As I read my bible this morning I came across this letter from the apostle Paul to the Colossian believers. It struck me that this is the way we should pray for each other. And this is the way we should address each other—encouraging our friends to persist in their dedication to Christ.

I'm not going to wait until January 1 to make the resolution to think in this manner. Imagine how different our world would look if Christians were to "walk in a manner worthy of the Lord," and if we were to "increase in the knowledge of God" and "bearing fruit in our good works," remembering that "he has transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son" who died to redeem us and to garner the forgiveness of our sins."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rich, I do like to pray this way, but I had never thought about "talking" this way to my friends. You know, if we did it sincerely and at the appropriate time, it would be a great "accountability" opportunity. There were women in my life when I was a teen that asked me the hard questions. I never dared to stray far from the narrow road because I never wanted to disappoint these great women. I surely hope I am that to the young people I get to work with. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.