October 10, 2008

My son

I was going through some of my photos today and came across this photo of my son. I just thought I ought to post it.

David is a great kid with a wonderful love for life. You can really see his personality in this photo, which was taken in our enclosed porch with lawnmowers and boxes piled all around. Not nearly as exciting as a real photography studio.

He claims he's the most photographed kid in history.

Okay, so maybe he's right. A little more searching (and some help from my wife) came up with this photo from about 13 years ago.

Not much has changed. He still wants to go outside.

Well...photography has changed quite a bit. This photo was taken on a camera that used long rolls of plastic-type material the were held in a light-proof area of the camera until the light-sensitive salt solution on the plastic material was exposed to the light. Then that roll of plastic was removed from the camera, taken to a store and submitted for what they called "developing." After an overnight process, we would go back to the store and pick up our photographic prints.

At this point, about 12 hours or so later (if we had used the more expensive quick turnaround service) we could finally see the results of our photography and see if the exposure and focus were proper.

Remember those days?

5 comments:

  1. He sparkles Rich. Lawnmowers and boxes...nothing like at our house, I'm sure. www.dailydecadent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm extremely impressed by the first photo. It _looks_ like it was done in a studio.

    And how did you get the old one scanned in so well?

    I still develop my pictures that old way, despite all my husband's attempts to get me to get a digital camera. I'm sure we will get one, soon, sometime...I'm just not quite ready to learn a new technology yet. But it would make sharing a lot easier. Scanning them in and trying to get them to look as good on the computer as they do on the print is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David looks so joyful in the pictures, esp. the older one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to switch to digital. You'll love it. And you can get some very high quality cameras now without it costing too much.

    That first picture was done in a studio of sorts. We hung one of our backgrounds from the ceiling fan on one side and the top of a pole on the other side and I used three studio light banks including a large softbox. But we had to push boxes and lawnmowers out of the way to get everything set up. We usually set up the studio inside the house where there's more room, but it was around Christmastime last year when I took that picture and the house was decorated, so we just set up in the porch.

    I'm such a photography geek that even in the days of film I had my photos put on a CD for use on computers. Back then they were beginning to promote something called Kodak Photo CD, which I opted for every time I had a roll developed. So now I have quite a few photos from the film days that are in fine digital format.

    Oh - And David is usually a pretty joyful kid. He's a joker - just like his father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard, I enjoyed seeing these two pictures side by side.

    His expression as a toddler is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.