September 02, 2008

Sustained by Sovereign Grace

The question is asked: What is grace?

Answers are given: Unmerited favor; good things that happen to us; the smile of God.

I don't know that any of these answers really explain grace. But I think this poem does explain both what grace is not and what grace is:

Not grace to bar what is not bliss,
Nor flight from all distress, but this:

The grace that orders our trouble and pain,
And then, in the darkness, is there to sustain.

John Piper

Read the sermon that this poem came from: Sustained by Sovereign Grace—Forever
Or listen to the sermon.

2 comments:

  1. Richard,
    I have no words to really express my gratitude to you for this post. Know that I am typing this through my tears and I thank you from my heart.
    Your friend,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, my friend. I'm praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.