September 28, 2008

Another foot in the grave

My son being fitted for
rock wall climbing

Yesterday was my birthday. I am now 47 years old. That's almost 50. That's really, really old!

And just in case I hadn't noticed that it was old, my son helped me out yesterday as we were heading out to Peaks of Otter to spend a day exploring. David sat in the back seat in thought and then asked, "Mom and Dad—since you guys were really old when you adopted me, does that mean that you'll die sooner than most parents?"

So now I realize that I'm not just old now that I am 47, but I was really old 13 years ago.

It's good to know where you stand.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I passed the big 5-0 mark this past August!

    I guess I'm happy about that, because it means I've gotten to make it this far in reasonably good health, and besides, I'm going to live forever, anyway!

    Interesting perspective on your son's question. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - he has many interesting perspectives. And I'm really glad to know that someone out there is older than I am.

    We encouraged him to do the rock climbing in order to punish him for the comment. But since he's actually young, he scaled the wall twice without a single problem. It's just us old people who can't do that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We encouraged him to do the rock climbing in order to punish him for the comment.

    Right! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.