May 23, 2008

Kids these days

So ... my son is eating us out of house and home. We've already covered that. But last night my son came up with a new one for me and I just had to share it with everyone

Remember when you refused to eat your carrots (or brussel sprouts, or whatever) and your mom said, "finish your dinner; there are starving children in China"? Of course, you, as a dutiful American child responded with, "well send it to them 'cause I don't want it."

I vowed that I would never tell my child that he had to eat something "because there are starving children in China." But God has a sense of humor. I maintained my vow, but....

Last night my son wanted more food. He had already eaten and wasn't going to get any more last night. After much belly-aching about how he was starving and was in "severe pain from the hunger" (His words, no kidding!), I told him that there are many children in poverty-stricken nations who go days without any food at all. He responded: "But they're used to not having food so it probably doesn't bother them as much."

How exactly do you respond to that?

How I long for the days of "Dad, where do babies come from?"

5 comments:

  1. Richard, my youngest of 5 sons is now 17 and his legs are hollow. I learned a long time ago the secret to keeping them fed without going broke. I fix a large supper meal and usually there is plenty for even left-overs. But if they still want more either after supper or during the day, there is always bread and peanut butter and a bowl of apples, oranges, or bananas. This usually kept them from dying a horrifying death. Of course, with each one who leaves home, we can begin to actually think about saving for retirement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our two sons moved out to college, I expected our grocery bill to drop in half. At the time I was cooking three large meals a day plus several home made snacks as we owned a large poultry farm and my husband and sons were always hungry. When the last one left for college, I figured out the difference. Our grocery bill dropped to one fourth of what it had been. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I well remember reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's book about her husband's youth -- Farmer Boy, written about his life when he was about 10 years old. She knew her husband well. I recall her describing his appetite many times during the book. Your post just reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thatmom - Five sons! The grocery store must have loved you. My wife began filling a bowl with fruit and leaving it on the table for snack purposes. When my son discovered the purpose for this fruit (it was for him to eat), we willingly obliged ... and ate the entire bunch of bananas and four apples in one afternoon. Then, while he was eating the fourth apple he asked, "What's for dinner?"

    Sandy - I bet the decreased food expenditure didn't cover the college costs though. I've wanted to study the way money disappears for a while. I'm pretty sure there's a wormhole in space that sucks up any excess money.

    Simplegifts3 - My mother and sister really enjoyed reading Laura Ingalls Wilder. Maybe they could relate to my father and me. We've always had big appetites. Which is probably the reason I have to go to the gym at least once a day now.

    Thank you, ladies, for visiting me. I've had a slow posting week and am glad some of my friends are still checking to make sure that I'm alive. Today is my son's birthday and we're partying all day, so probably no posts today either. Have a great holiday weekend. Enjoy your families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very Happy Birthday, Trainman!

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.