April 13, 2008

Shout to the Lord!

I missed this one. I'm sorry I did—it would have been interesting to see the whole show. Simplegifts3 at Indelible Grace reports that the American Idol contestants sang this twice. The first time they sang it, the opening lyrics were changed from "My Jesus, My Savior" to "My Shepherd, My Savior." But the next night when the performed it again (the video shown here), the lyrics were back to the original, including the name "Jesus." I can only speculate that there were complaints when the lyrics were changed for the first performance.

Once again, it's good to see the name of Jesus proclaimed on a hugely popular television show, and done in the proper context.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Richard. I commented over on my blog I wish they had chosen a Christian artist to do the song in the first place. However, I appreciate that they made the show into a means of helping the destitute of this world as well as a means of entertainment, so I don't want to be too critical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I agree. I actually think the worst thing about American Idol is its name (which I guess didn't start with this show, but some European shows - maybe British). I love the show once the contestants are winnowed down to the truly talented.

    We've noticed over a few seasons that there are actually quite a few who proclaim the name of Christ on the show. And they have not been condemned at all for their outspokenness. It's refreshing to see.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.