April 22, 2008

Alive Day - Lt. Dawn Halfaker

First Lt. Dawn Halfaker, U.S. Army

First Leutenant Dawn Halfaker is strikingly well-spoken. She is intelligent, driven, attractive, and an amputee. Dawn's right arm and shoulder were blown off by a rocket propelled grenade, which fortunately exploded after it had passed through her shoulder. During Dawn's interview in the Alive Day documentary I heard many of the people watching the film crying as they considered the impact this has had on this young lady. Dawn discussed her concerns about the fact that if she has children some day she will never be able to pick them up with two arms the way most mothers do. She talked of her concerns that her children may not see her as a normal mother but that they may see her as a little bit less somehow.

But these fears were not on the surface when I met Lt. Halfaker. She was very impressive from the moment I began speaking to her. She is intelligent and full of life and has a fanatastic outlook.

Here is Dawn's story in her own words:

My dark memories are inescapable, they are the fiber that shape the threads of my new life and I must accept them for what they are and persevere through them.

In theory my life has moved well beyond the tragic event that befell me on 19 June, 2004. I have a new and successful career that consumes me; keeps me occupied twenty four hours a day and takes me on adventures around the country. I am in graduate school; I have a beautiful new condo in metro D.C. and I have a slew of friends who I trust and love that make me laugh. However, through the windows of my ‘new' life, each day I find myself at one moment or another looking back at my service in the military and my injury, wondering how different, easy, and wonderful my life would be like had I not become a product of the ravages of war. I could have gone to Yale. I could have branched ---, rather than MP and sat behind a desk doing war-fighter's errands. My list of ‘I could be doing...' is quite long. And through my best efforts to skew my vision at something other than the past, I am reminded of it every day and every day it tears at my heart, mind and soul.

Lt. Dawn Helfaker and Nancy Hogan of
Paralyzed Veterans of America

Whether I watch the news and see that another suicide bomber has taken more life from the people I was trying to protect, whether I hear that another one of my friends and/or former comrades has died in the heat of battle, or whether I just feel a hint of phantom pain trickle down from my brain to my armless shoulder, I remember and I am conflicted. But, at the end of the day when I lay down to go to sleep with all of my modern comforts surrounding me, I am happy with who I am, and although my dark memories are inescapable, they are the fiber that shape the threads of my new life and I must accept them for what they are and persevere through them, no matter how painful they may be. My happiness would suffer otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever you are from Naperville, Illinois - you are a very sick person. You may want to consider appreciating the sacrifices our veterans have made for you to have the freedom to be such a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing photo i must say, it just screams in your face the problems the military face, and so many different contexts you can get into here.. being ex army myself, now in university doing ba(hons)photography, i can see this from so many angles.. my buddies are fighting in afghanistan at the moment, and i fear for them all the time, for them to lose limbs, or even die. i have all the time in the world for them, and pray to god that they come back alive.

    back to the point though.. amazing photograph. shame by the looks of things in your comment there thers some sick individuals willing to be blind to the world.

    JP, England

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP - I'm glad you stopped by. The comment I removed was a very mean-spirited personal attack against Lt. Halfaker. I would not have removed it had it simply been a disagreement regarding our military - I'm open to personal discussion of the issues - but I don't want my blog to become a forum for personal attacks.

    I cannot imagine what horrors military people face regularly, having never served in the military myself. But I am grateful to those who put themselves in such peril for the good of their nation and the world.

    I'm glad you're studying photograpy. It is my greatest passion. I cannot claim credit for the first photo in this post, however. This was one of the publicity photos taken by the crew that did the Alive Day documentary. It is an amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.