February 22, 2008

Why be divisive?

I often stir up trouble with blog posts, comments I make in conversations, and just general discussion of theology and ecclesiology with my friends. Our post-modern cultural mindset contributes to this trouble by making us think we are being personally attacked when someone expresses a disagreement with our thinking on a particular topic. This cultural phenomenon comes dangerously close to the censorship of totalitarian regimes, except that this is cultural and social censorship rather than political and governmental censorship.

I try to comment on things that are happening around me—observations I have made regarding Evangelicalism, Christianity, and my own social networks. I comment on these things because commenting on things that are not currently on the cultural radar doesn't make a lot of sense and wouldn't promote a lot of interest in the coversation.

Martin Luther nailing his 95 Theses
from the film "Luther"

I think this social censorship quite likely happens to all of us who comment on current events from a political or theological or philosophical bent. During the Enlightenment, these types of comments were conversation starters—they began the dialog. Opposing opinions were voiced and folks considered the pros and cons of each argument and everyone's thought process was challenged and improved.

The new censorship is evidence that we would rather not discuss the pros and cons of an argument but would rather simply believe what we believe and not be challenged to do any actual thinking about it. It is a shame, but it is nothing new—it did not begin with Postmodern thought. In fact, the Great Reformer Martin Luther dealt with these same attempts at censorship and he responded with:

"If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ.

"Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved and to be steady on all the battlefield besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that one point."
– Martin Luther

2 comments:

  1. Richard, this post piqued my interest on a couple of levels. First, I am wondering what types of issues you are referring to. Second, I offer my opinion on the part of your post that mentions that people "would rather simply believe what we believe and not be challenged to do any actual thinking about it." I feel this is a function of lack of time and laziness. It takes time to study and ponder different sides of issues, and most of us either feel we don't have that time or choose not to take it. I like the quote from Martin Luther. Also, I am greatly enjoying the Thomas a Kempis book you recommended. It is a book to be savored. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying Thomas a Kempis. I found that to be an outstanding book.

    Your assessment of why folks don't seem to interact with differing opinions parallels mine completely. But I think a large degree of arrogance goes into this as well. Living in the shadow of Liberty University brings this up often. Rather than thinking about things, many folks here in Lynchburg simply fall back on what Liberty University has said (I have heard this regarding the LU Theology department, the LU English department, and even the LU Worship department--whatever odd and bizarre department that may describe).

    As far as types of issues, I have seen this type of response surrounding many surprising conversations recently. The issues have included:
    * deep theology (whether or not the Bible actually proclaims the Doctrines of Grace or if it is, in fact, actually man's philosophical conclusions based on a systematic theology)
    * theological application (whether John's use of the term "draw" in John 6:44 means dragged kicking and screaming or wooing)
    * music (what constitutes "good" church music)
    * music quality (based on my impression that Christians tend to shoot for a target significantly below mediocrity)
    * Emergent church concepts (should we discontinue the use of the words "sin" and "repent" when we present the gospel message
    * poetry (how much poetic license should be allowed for songs we use to proclaim the name of Christ)
    * grammar (is it necessary that a pronoun match the case of its predicate?)

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.