December 27, 2011

Natural or exhibitionist?

T

Tim Challies, one of my favorite bloggers, posted an interesting article about breastfeeding in public. I have not had to deal directly with this issue, but found the discussion quite interesting.

I was not breast-fed and we adopted our son, so my wife did not breastfeed him either. So we have not had to even consider the whether-or-not-to-breastfeed-in-public topic, although my libertarian bent would probably put me in the leave-the-decision-in-the-hands-of-the-mother camp.

Read the article. See what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on the "lib bent" in my own mind honestly. However Paul tells us in 1 cor that we should take care not to do things that are meaningless to us (ie bare a breast in public in this instance) but that will offend others we are trying to reach for Christ. Paul uses the example of eating meat used in sacrifices to pagan false 'gods' among other stuff relevant to his day.

    We're also called to be modest/circumspect in the culture we live in/God placed us in by birth/circumstances, so we don't put anyone off from learning about Jesus from us directly/indirectly through witnessing our lives from the outside.

    What do you think? I've just recently read halfway through 1 cor and we're mulling it over as a couple to see what it means in our lives. We're not new to worshiping Jesus, but definitely new to studying God's word. This is what our NIV Bible's explanation has given us. jamison607 at yh Merry Christmas and God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also say that as a follower of Jesus I am also called not to judge people that do choose to do things that I consider distasteful; but I am called to think about those around me sensibilities when engaging in life's activities. He doesn't make it easy for us does He? :D

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.