May 30, 2011

Those overly emotional Type B people

I

am a musician! I don’t see any need to hide from that. I am also a graphic designer—another part of my personality that I do not run from or try to hide. So... I am definitely a type B personality. I am laid back, accepting, creative. I don’t feel the need to judge other people. I don’t get overly concerned with deadlines, rules, regulations, or boundaries. I cherish creativity. I adore people who see the world from a different perspective. I don’t much care how you get there; but I love what you produce when you reach your goal. I understand the meaning of the lyrics to “The Climb.”

This personality type does great with some people. It does not do as well with others. And quite often I have wondered why I have to live in such an emotionally charged world. Often, my emotional overload has scared people. When I burst into tears during a hymn or in the middle of a movie, some of my friends wish they weren’t sitting in such close proximity. Some of those “friends” are no longer friends, after experiencing one of those emotional tsunamis.

One of my friends, a coworker who is married to a bass player, loaned me a book written by one of the best bass players ever—Victor Wooten. I am thoroughly enjoying the book. But a passage I read recently really jumped out at me and I wanted to share it.

From the phenomenal book, The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music, here is Victor Wooten:

“Anyone who can get another person to express himself freely is powerful because it allows all involved to recognize their collective and individual power. Again, this is beautiful to some and frightening to others.” He smiled and spread his hands. “Welcome to the world of the musician.”

“The world of the musician.” Wow, it was exciting! Hearing that information made me understand the importance and potential power of music. I thought about how I would use this kind of power if I had it. I could be like Elvis. I could be the Bass King. I playfully fantasized. I liked the idea of using music in a powerful way, but it bothered me that music or musicians could be frightening to anyone. I just couldn’t fully understand it. The possibility of being watched by the government, the way Michael described, disturbed me. This couldn’t happen in this day and age, could it? The thought of another King who had been assassinated because of his power brought me back to reality.

“Michael, I don’t want to frighten anyone with my music, but I do wanna know more about ‘the world of the musician.’ If music really is powerful, how can I develop it to the high level you speak of? You talked about emotion. If this power is developed through emotion, how do I develop it and express it through my music in a positive way?”

“Intention!” he answered without hesitation. “Intention is the key to everything.”

“What do you mean?”

“Emotions are natural. You have always had them and you will never get away from them. I look at my emotions the same way that I look at musical mistakes. Trying to get rid of them or control them can seem an impossible task. Learn to recognize and understand what they have to tell you. Only then can you effectively work with and use your emotions. How they are used is up to you. This is where intention comes in.

“Pure, honest intention can bring out the beauty of any emotion. And like notes, there is a world of beauty residing inside each one. The proper technique can bring you to the understanding and use of each emotion. Now you can start to see how the different elements of Music relate to and help each other.”

“But how do I use intention?” I asked. “You haven’t told me that yet.”

“Just have a good heart. That is all.”

I expected a more complicated answer. Michael paused in order to allow the simplicity to sink in. Sometimes he could discuss a concept for hours, and other times, just a few words did the trick. After I smiled and nodded, showing him that I understood, he continued.

“It is like trusting the river current to take you where you want to go. To fight the current could be disastrous. In each situation, whether it be in Music or in Life, take a moment to close your eyes and feel the current of your heart taking you where you need to be. After your awareness develops, you will no longer need to close your eyes. You will feel the pull of your heart’s current and ride it with open eyes, allowing you to view all the astounding scenery around you. I tell you this: If you can follow the current at all times, you will not have a thing to worry about, ever.”

Victor Wooten, The Music Lesson

Galatians 5:1
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.