January 05, 2011

You are what you ... see

Our family has a favorite saying: take the spoon out. This may seem silly to most people, but it suits our family well.


As the joke goes, there was a man who loved hot chocolate, but every time he drank hot chocolate his eye would develop terrible pains. This happened for many years and finally he went to the doctor.

“Doctor,” he said, “every time I drink hot chocolate my eye hurts. But I love hot chocolate and don’t want to give it up. What can I do?”

“Tell me about this hot chocolate,” responded the doctor. “How do you make it?”

“Well, I put cocoa and sugar into the mug, then I pour hot milk into it, stir it with a spoon, and then drink it.”

“Maybe you should take the spoon out.”

Yeah - I know. It’s silly. But it makes a good point that our family tries to remember regularly. Sometimes the fix is pretty obvious—and not really all that difficult.


So... I often get bogged down with the woes and cares of life. I let the daily trials bother me and I worry about the potential future trials. But this is not a difficult problem to diagnose. If I’m focused on the world, I will notice those trials, and those woes, and those cares. If I am focused on Christ, I will notice the solution to those problems.

All I have to do is take the spoon out.

 

1 comment:

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.