September 26, 2010

Keep your head in the game

H

ave you ever sat in church and felt that God was speaking directly to you? And maybe to you only? Well, that happened to me today. And it wasn’t a terribly unusual or obscure message. It was the simple and well-known directive to seek first the kingdom of God (context in the callout box below).

Matthew 6:31-33

Do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

I am so easily distracted from keeping my focus on Christ. It isn’t particularly smart for me to lose that focus, considering the regular ups and downs, hills and valleys, waves and cays in the roller coaster ride of life (to mix a whole bunch of metaphors). But there it is...I get off track and focus on myself and my abilities instead of “boasting only in Christ.” It doesn’t make much sense and is terribly ill-advised.

And so I head into tomorrow with another seemingly big hurdle in front of me. And I find myself tempted to boast of my capabilities and to defend myself by proclaiming my superiority. But these are not the things I am told to do in scripture. I am told to be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10).

May God grant me the faith to do so—tomorrow, and in the days to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.