July 19, 2010

Searching for security

I

have always feared a loss of security and safety. I have never been homeless and I have usually been able to pay the bills and put food on the table, but this has remained one of my greatest fears for essentially all of my life—especially so after I became the head of the household and responsible for more than just myself.

This morning as I read my bible on the bus I came across Psalm 15, which seems perfectly suited for someone with my fears about safety and security. It seems to answer the question, “what do I need to do to make sure my family is secure and well cared for?”

Psalm 15

O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?

He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart;

who does not slander with his tongue
and does no evil to his neighbor,
nor takes up a reproach against his friend;

in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
but who honors those who fear the Lord;
who swears to his own hurt and does not change;

who does not put out his money at interest
and does not take a bribe against the innocent.

He who does these things shall never be moved.

It looks like quite a bit, but at least there’s a target. May God grant me the grace to live in this way and may God keep my family safe and secure and provide for our needs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.