March 15, 2010

Expecting too much of others

S

o often I expect those around me to live like they are perfect. I don’t necessarily hold myself to that standard all the time, but I expect others to live that way and tend to get upset when I find out that one of those people has lied or acted in some unethical way.

Numbers 23:19

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

So today when I read this passage from the oracle of Balaam it reminded me that these unethical behaviors are actually characteristics of mankind. We lie. We don’t follow through on our promises. We are disrespectful and self-serving.

God is not like us. He is God. Now ... I just need to work towards being more like him, and not expecting that others will succeed in that effort.

 

3 comments:

  1. So very true...but I must share with you one of Lanelle's paraphrases:
    "Love always hopes, but it doesn't expect very much."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Richard,

    Most people do not know, God is not like us. He is God. Someday all will know.

    Romans 14:11
    For it is written: “ As I live, says the LORD,
    Every knee shall bow to Me,
    And every tongue shall confess to God.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawne Ebersole3/16/2010 6:29 AM

    ...to live the life of forgiveness. Jesus, be merciful to me, a sinner.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.