February 23, 2010

Too proud for truth

G

od has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise, as we are told in 1 Corinthians 1:27. This fact sometimes shows us how proud we were before God drew us to himself, conquered our will, and gave us a heart of flesh.

I am currently listening to an audiobook recording of Confessions of St. Augustine. It is an outstanding book and shows how little we have changed in the almost 2,000 years since Augustine was a bishop.

This is Augustine’s recollection of his early view of scripture, prior to his conversion:

I resolved then to bend my mind to the holy Scriptures, that I might see what they were. But behold, I see a thing not understood by the proud, nor laid open to children, lowly in access, in its recesses lofty, and veiled with mysteries; and I was not such as could enter into it, or stoop my neck to follow its steps. For not as I now speak, did I feel when I turned to those Scriptures; but they seemed to me unworthy to be compared to the stateliness of Tully: for my swelling pride shrunk from their lowliness, nor could my sharp wit pierce the interior thereof. Yet were they such as would grow up in a little one. But I disdained to be a little one; and, swollen with pride, took myself to be a great one.

St. Augustine, The Confessions

 

1 comment:

  1. Leslie Blank2/24/2010 8:47 AM

    Rich, I am so thankful that God uses people like me. I just float along in this thing called life..and when I realize that God used me to do something wonderful it just warms me. Hope all is well with your family. I think about you all often.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.