January 02, 2010

Reflection on the year past

I

have not written much here recently. I could probably blame it on the busy-ness of the season, but that would not be entirely true. I could also plead the fifth against self-incrimination, which would be a bit closer to the truth, but still not telling the full story. The truth is that this is the time of year that I consider the year past and try to figure out what lessons I need to learn and carry forward into the year to come. And this past year has not been a comfortable one.

During this past year there have been earth-shattering negatives and incredible and unexpected positives. And I believe the lesson is clear, although if I am to learn this lesson now, it makes me question how hairy things may get in the near future.

Negatives
  1. Betrayal by those we considered our best friends
  2. Loss of our housing arrangements
  3. False accusations knowingly spread against us by those who claim the name of Christ
  4. Income cut by 33%, with new responsibilities assigned
Positives
  1. Reconnection with friends who have stood the test of time
  2. New home in a new area obviously provided by God
  3. A new church home, a new church family, new church leadership
  4. God providing our needs one step at a time

There are many more negatives that cropped up this past year, and each has its corresponding huge positive that could only have sprung from the hand of a loving God. Our son’s educational needs, health issues, cars breaking down—so many things happened this year and so many of them threatened to overwhelm us. But God has shown his power and providential care in an amazing way this past year.

Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

So what lessons should I learn from 2009? How should I step forward into 2010? I believe that the over-arching lesson I needed to learn this past year was that God is in complete and total control. No matter what tsunamis hit. No matter what tar-pits we find scattered along the highway. God is in control and he will take loving care of his children. I need simply to trust each step of the way that God is taking care of business and I need to step out in faith, doing what he calls on me to do without questioning and without despondency or fear. Our God is in control.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.