January 10, 2010

Mountains, trains, snow - photography

Yesterday I decided to go to the Daily Grind coffee shop in Front Royal for a latte and some quiet book reading. As usual, I had my camera with me. As I headed back home after the coffee, I decided to take a few pictures of the bridge near our house. After the bridge I wandered around town a bit taking pictures as the sun fell behind the mountains. It was truly beautiful.

click for full resolution version

This header photo was taken from the middle of the bridge over the Shenandoah heading into the town of Front Royal, Virginia. The river runs under the middle of the bridge with plains flanking each side. A train track parallels the river along this plain. I loved the imagery of the train tracks heading toward the mountains in the distance.

This is the Shenandoah River. I had to walk about 25 yards to the right on the bridge I was taking the pictures from to get this picture after I took the picture of the train tracks. A couple days ago there were patches of ice on the river’s surface, but that has all melted now.

As I headed back home, I entered our neighborhood from behind our house and noticed our house in the distance. This was well after dusk, but the picture here is a composite of seven different exposures, the longest of which was about 2 minutes long. So the sky, which was actually very dark at the time, has a beautiful glow to it. You can also see the tail lights from our neighbor’s car as he drove down the street during one of the extended-length exposures.

I thank God continually for moving us to this beautiful place.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.