November 13, 2009

It’s Friday!!!

W

hen Mary and I were going to college together (about a quarter-century ago) I was a trumpet player. In fact, I was majoring in music with a trumpet proficiency (until I switched to voice because it seemed easier). And Maynard Ferguson was my favorite trumpet player.

Unfortunately, a health issue caused me to lose my ability to play the trumpet—not that I was ever able to do what Maynard can do, or even come close.

The loss of control of my lip muscles brought some fear with regard to Mary’s recent surgery and we’re praising God for retaining her ability to play the clarinet. Perhaps the fact that she’s good and I was a slouch played into the final outcomes in our individual cases. Hmmmm.

Anyway, as the weekend kicks off, here’s a video from back in those days (circa 1980) of my favorite trumpet player playing “Give It One.” And the tenor sax in the middle of the song is my tribute to Mary. I just couldn’t find an actual clarinet. A tenor sax is basically a clarinet with a bit more testosterone.

Maynard rocks!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.