October 04, 2009

Where He leads me I will follow

 

S

eemingly a lifetime ago I had a very good friend. This friend of mine helped open my eyes to a wider world, became a positive catalyst to my rebel spirit, caused me to seek the truth in God’s Word, and convinced me to question man’s traditions whenever they came in conflict with God’s commands or with God’s graciousness. Dean was an amazing friend who greatly impacted my life.

In those days it was much harder to keep in touch than it is now. Dean and I lost contact with each other about 25 years ago. Then, by God’s grace and through the medium of Facebook, God reconnected us. It has been a joy getting reacquainted and finding out what has happened over the past two and a half decades.

Even while I have tried desperately to move out of the Washington, D.C., area, God has kept my family here. But God moved Dean from where I left him (Clark Summit, Pa.) to a new location. Many twisted and difficult paths took him across the country, but just as God used pain and pressure to bless my family greatly by moving us to a beautiful and wonderful town, God has blessed Dean with the responsibility of shepherding a flock of believers here:

Reconnecting with old friends is gratifying in many ways. But it is especially sweet to see God’s sustaining grace in the lives of my old friends and to see that God is blessing them in peripheral ways, just because he loves us all and his character shines through in his blessings.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!

3 comments:

  1. Kristen Kay Burghart10/04/2009 3:49 PM

    Randy and I had the pleasure of striking up a friendship with Dean and Jane when Dean was in seminary up here. The three of us played leading roles in the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta The Mikado.
    Our lives, too, have been blessed by knowing Dean and Jane.

    So, Dean....as you read this...know that God has touched lives through you. Someday we'll make it down to visit you (February sounds good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dean and Jane! Rich has told me how gratifying it has been to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kristy. Those were precious days, and while Providence has taken us away, the friendships remain and are cherished. I'm thankful that the technology of our day has enabled us to mollify the drawbacks of mobility! You're welcome to come anytime.

    Hello, Mary! Connecting personally through FB with you is on the agenda, but I want you to know I've been following your doctoring and have been praying for you.

    Rich, you're very kind, and I'm honored by your words. The video of Sedona is well done, and gives a nice overview of the area. May God be praised that as His children we are able to name the "Higher Power" of which they speak!

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.