October 29, 2009

Up and At ’Em!

H

i All!! Thank you so much for your prayers. I am feeling quite well. I slept in my recliner last night, thinking I’d be restless—plus it requires a LOT of my neck muscles to sit up. However, I never woke up until 6:15 this morning. After a slice of toast, a glass of milk and my dose of Advil, I dozed again. It’s 1:30, and I’m trying to take it easy, as the swelling behaves more when I do. I’m eating mostly softer foods, because chewing is pretty painful right now.

On Tuesday, a gal from Sunday school brought over dinner for the family—a BIG dinner (we’re still munching on leftovers). The neighbor brought over a casserole to freeze for when we need it. Today, an orchestra friend brought over a HUGE meal, and I know another one is coming Saturday night. I have received a ton of phone calls, emails, and well wishes. God has more than abundantly provided what I have needed through His body of saints! My facebook friends have sent many cheery messages, too. I’m rather spoiled, you know!

The good news is that I can move all the muscles in my face. The funny part is that I have an injury from the anesthesia procedure that has left me with a bruised and swollen lower lip on the opposite side, so my smile is a little crooked from that. But I found today that I am able to whistle, so I’m fairly confident that there is no facial nerve damage. I’m not sure if I could ever explain how important it is to me that I can continue to play clarinet, nor even why, but I am thankful that I will most likely be able to play for Christmas Sweet.

I have a post-op visit on Monday. The doctor will remove the sutures and I should have the pathology report back. I will keep you up-to-date on the outcome of that biopsy when the report returns.

There is much for which to praise God, and with David I will say,

Praise the LORD, all nations!
   Extol him, all peoples!
For great is his steadfast love toward us,
   and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
Praise the LORD!
—Psalm 117

 

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back Mary! It's really great to hear that you're doing so well. I'm also glad that you'll be able to play the clarinet. My 11 year old daughter just switched from the saxophone to the clarinet. So far she has been able to master the song "Hot Cross Buns", which she plays over and over and over. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's an interesting switch! Usually you start on clarinet and move to sax. I love clarinet, and one of my star pupils will be joining me for spring semester. I love playing duets with her, so it will be a joy to be able to play when she starts back. I've been playing for 38 years!!

    I'm glad to be back, too. I'm still resting a lot. They promised me at the hospital that the swelling would get worse before it got better, and I've found that the more I rest, the better it is. But I get up for short periods to do small things. I'm sure as the week progresses I'll feel much more like my active self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks be to God, Mary Lou. I'm praising God on your behalf. Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After 38 years of playing the clarinet, shouldn't you have graduated to sax by now?

    /* evil grin */

    Of course, I started playing guitar 31 years ago and am now playing bass guitar, so that's kind of a demotion of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary. My daughter switched to the clarinet, even though she likes the sax better. Why? Well, as it turns out, her friend Claudia is playing the clarinet and they want to be like twins.

    I love the decision making process of children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to hear the surgery is over with and your facial muscles are still doing great! Praying for the rest of the recovery, too!

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.