October 08, 2009

God’s smiling face

 

T

his morning David called us into the dining room. “Look at the sky,” he said, with awe in his voice. Kim went into the dining room and then called to me, “Rich, you’ve got to see this. It’s beautiful.” So I went to see what they were looking at.

The sun had just begun to rise over the mountaintops. The clouds had taken on a beautiful orange and red glow with purple and magenta fringes. It was awe-inspiring. And it was God’s handiwork on display.

I grabbed my camera, went out to the porch on the side of our house, and took a few quick pictures.

William Cowper

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face

This brings to mind a little bit of the conversation that Mary and I had regarding her last post updating us on her medical situation. Mary is facing some very difficult things right now. Fear of the unknown seems to raise its head over and over. My family just came through one of the most fear-inducing trials we have ever been through. And other friends of ours (mine and Mary’s) have recently been through similar situations.

But all of us who have been through these situations are believers and we recognize God’s goodness and faithfulness to his people. And we rest in that knowledge and surety. That doesn’t necessarily keep the fear at bay, but it comforts us to know that our God has things under control and he promises that he will work things out to his glory and to our benefit along the way.

Psalm 103:8–13

The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.

This morning’s sky is one of the unexpected and undeserved blessings that God has given my family after bringing us through our trial. For quite some time we didn’t even know if we would have a house to live in. And now we live in the most wonderful house we can imagine with a gorgeous view of the mountains and sunrises and sunsets that defy description. This is God saying, “you are my child and I love you.” Our trials don’t always end with obvious blessings or with things that we cherish in such a tangible way, but God’s blessings are ever-present before the deep waters, during the deep waters, and after the deep waters have been passed through.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you, declares the Lord.
—Jehovah Jireh, as quoted by Jeremiah the prophet
(Jeremiah 29:11–14).

1 comment:

  1. Rich, I enjoy seeing these pictures. And I am greatly blessed by the last verse you gave from Jeremiah. I am so glad to keep hearing about your gratefulness for answered prayer.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.