September 24, 2009

Update on Sometimes It Is Blessed to Receive

 

Original post from September 21

L

ate yesterday afternoon I received word from my surgeon on the results of the CAT scan. They found one large mass and three smaller ones on the parotid gland, which is a salivary gland in front of the ear and at the back of the jaw. He referred me to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor. I will call today to make an appointment. Surgery is necessary. I’m not sure if the ENT will do a biopsy before surgery or just schedule surgery for removal of the gland and biopsy it then.

I asked if it was possibly cancerous, and the surgeon said “it is suspicious.” The surgery is tricky because of the facial nerves which run through that area, that’s why I was referred to the ENT.

Prayer requests:

I am a musician who plays clarinet in an orchestra. I also teach private voice, clarinet, and piano in a music studio. The possibility exists, though remotely, that the surgery could damage nerves that limit my function as a musician. Though it is not as important as my health, it is still a concern for me. Pray that I will be content with whatever direction God takes in this area. My gifts are His to give or set aside for His glory.

My family is obviously concerned. They are incredible people, and my husband has been an absolute rock to me in this journey. He is my best friend. My children are also incredible. Pray that God will comfort them all as they journey through this with me. Pray, too, that this journey will draw them closer to God and teach them to trust Him even in the rough places.

Pray that I will continue to acknowledge the full range of emotions as I whether this storm. It's healthier, and it's also more humble. I want to be an opportunity to shine God's glory, but my vessel won't be as shiny if I am not honest with myself and others.

Praises:

I could give you about ten neat things that God has done already that demonstrate that He has already prepared this path ahead of me. Among them are a lighter schedule this year (due to my husband's insistence that I not over commit), fairly complete school lesson plans that I was obsessed with doing this summer, a required summer rest that restored a weakened spirit, and a tremendous support system in my immediate family, friends, and an awesome church family.

2 comments:

  1. Praying with you & for you. We know the God of Comfort & the Great Physician!

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.