July 20, 2009

Just do the right thing

Genesis 4:7

If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.

I

often tell my son that he just needs to do what he knows is right. It can be frustrating as a father to see your child chose the wrong thing when you know you have taught him the right way to act in this particular situation.

Our heavenly Father must have a similar reaction when, although I have learned from God what the right path actually is, I so often choose the path that I know is wrong. And yet, down the wrong path I go—time after time.

As I read Genesis 4 this evening it struck me how simple God’s statement to Cain really is. “If you do well, will you not be accepted?” And the rhetorical assumed answer is, “Yes! Of course. I will be accepted if I do what is right.”

But as Paul ruminated, sin reigns in our mortal bodies and our flesh is in continual warfare against that which we know is right. So God further directed Cain, “If you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.”

May God help me to rule over the sin that crouches at my door. I don’t want to intentionally choose the wrong path anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.