April 30, 2009

Soot Coffee - not recommended, but interesting

I ran across this interesting coffee recipe the other day and just thought I should share it with you.

Dr. Chase's Recipes; or Information for Everybody
by A. W. Chase, M.D.   © 1876

Soot Coffee—Has cured many cases of Ague, after everything else has failed. It is made as follows: Soot scraped from a chimney, (that from stove-pipes does not do,) 1 tablespoon, steeped in water 1pt., and settled with 1 egg beaten up in a little water, as for other coffee, with sugar and cream, 3 times daily with the meals, in place of other coffee. It has come in very much to aid restoration in Typhoid Fever, bad cases of Jaundice, Dyspepsia, etc., etc.

3 comments:

  1. I bet it would cure Jaundice alright - likely to a shade of green. What a hoot! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff, eh Decadent? I might try making some of this if people I really don't like visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeeeewww. Think I'll pass, at least until my Auge gets much worse.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.