November 03, 2008

Aiming at the wrong target

This morning as I booted my computer and prepared for the day's work, I turned on the TV to watch the morning's news. One of the reports this morning discussed the fact that a liberal talk show host has called for Joe the Plumber to be killed [video - caution—profanity laced].

I was amazed at how far someone would take their political ideology. But even more I was shocked that someone would target the entirely wrong person in their political anger. If you really hate John McCain, why turn against Joe the Plumber, whose only fault was that he asked a political candidate a question and got an answer?

John 12:9-11
When the large crowd of the Jews learned that Jesus was there, they came, not only on account of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests made plans to put Lazarus to death as well, because on account of him many of the Jews were going away and believing in Jesus.

Then I opened my bible to begin my devotions and I read John 12, which contains the verses in the callout box. The chief priests really hated Jesus. Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead, which had brought some celebrity status to Lazarus. People were coming to the Jesus rallies to see Lazarus. So the chief priests, who hated Jesus and didn't want people to believe him, turned their sights on Lazarus. Lazarus had not raised himself from the dead. We have no record of Lazarus preaching the gospel to any great extent. But he was under the threat of death because his very existence caused people to be interested in Jesus' teachings.

I guess things have not changed so much.

Be sure to vote tommorrow. But remember not to get your sights focused on the wrong target. This world (and this nation) is not our home. We should vote and we should choose the man who will be best for our country and whose policies most closely parallel scriptural mandates. But we cannot put our hope in a political candidate.

My hope is in the Lord
Who gave Himself for me
And paid the price for all my sins
At Calvary

No comments:

Post a Comment

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.