October 31, 2008

Blog Header - October 31, 2008

Today's blog header is a photo my wife took of the daughter of one of my coworkers. This friend asked us to come over to her house to do a portrait shoot of their family and especially of their young daughter. We set up my wife's portable photography studio in their garage and then got to work.

Kim took some outdoor portraits to show off the gorgeous landscaping this couple had done in their yard. Then she took the studio portraits in the garage. After she was done taking portraits of the daughter, I took some indoor and outdoor photos of the parents, the full family, and a few of the mother and her sister. All of the pictures turned out great.

This was our first time using digital for a professional portrait session. My wife was confident that the digital camera we were using (a Nikon D70) would be up to the task. I was not so sure. And I was particularly concerned when my friend ordered a 20 x 30-inch enlargement on canvas. The cost of having an enlargement of that size made directly on canvas is astronomical. I was scared to death. But when the final product was revealed, it was amazing and beautiful. My friend burst into happy tears when we opened the package for her to see the large portrait that now hangs above their fireplace mantle.

That is the story of my entrance into the world of digital. I have been completely sold on digital photography since then.

My wife is still a fan of Nikon, although she no longer has the D70 SLR. I continued with the brand I was familiar with in my negative and transparency film days—Canon. So essentially all of the photos on this blog have been taken with my Canon 30D digital SLR. Some of the photos come from my wife's Nikon Coolpix or from our Canon digital video camera, which also takes amazing still photos.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this portrait in real life and it is breathtaking Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that picture that they had done on canvas. It was absolutely gorgeous.

    We had a photo that I took printed on 20x30 canvas for our home. It's a Renaissance Festival (Crownsville, Maryland) photo and it is absolutely gorgeous. We have it hanging next to a Rembrandt painting that almost exactly parallels the photo.

    I'm glad you've seen the real one. It really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.