September 23, 2008

A certain hope in uncertain times

1 Peter 4:12–13

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.

The banking and lending debacle has been a big concern of mine in recent days. I work in an industry that is closely related to the banking industry. I was concerned about what this might mean for me.

Yesterday a memo was sent out to our entire firm letting us know that a reduction in personnel is on the rapidly approaching horizon. God is in control and I don't know if this reduction in force will hit me or not. But this has reminded me that I must trust in the grace and mercy of the Sovereign God and not think that I am in any way in control of events.

These are frightening times, but I look to that blessed hope and glorious appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. "I look to that blessed hope and glorious appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ." I say amen to that, Richard. I hope that your position is not in jeopardy. We have had lay-offs at my work in the past month and my hours have been cut. (The were part time anyway). It is a bad time economically for a lot of businesses. I remind myself frequently that I am but passing through this life and Heaven is my home. Still, why we are living here, it takes a lot of faith not to be unnerved sometimes. Blessings and courage to you, Peggy

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.