May 30, 2008

Calvinistic Synergism

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Calvinistic synergism. No—it's not an oxymoron. Let me explain.

Synergism is the belief that God and man cooperate in the process of salvation. Man contributes his part (faith) and God contributes his (grace). This view of salvation has been condemned as heresy by Church councils dating back to the time of Augustine and Pelagius (around the 5th century A.D.).

The opposing view, typically called Calvinism, holds to a monergistic salvation, in which God alone performs the actions necessary for the salvation of man. God reveals himself to the sinner, calls the sinner to himself, gives the sinner (dead in trespasses and sins) a new heart that is inclined toward God, grants the sinner faith unto repentance, and seals the new believer in eternal relationship with himself. The latter view is the view I espouse.

However, I was struck with a peculiar notion while reading Romans 6:23:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This verse shows that man and God both contributed something to the situation. Man sinned, thereby requiring his death to pay the penalty for sin. God gave the gift of life to all the believing ones—something man had already thrown away in the Garden of Eden.

Thus, Calvinistic synergism.

I know this was a weird post, but then again, that's what makes the internet interesting. It lets us know we're not alone in our weirdness.

5 comments:

  1. Below is a quote from one of Charles Spurgeon's writings. It sounds like he (as we) didn't exactly understand it all either.

    "That God predestines, and yet that man is responsible, are two facts that few can see clearly. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory to each other. If, then, I find taught in one part of the Bible that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find, in another Scripture, that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is only my folly that leads me to imagine that these two truths can ever contradict each other. I do not believe they can ever be welded into one upon any earthly anvil, but they certainly shall be one in eternity. They are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the human mind which pursues them farthest will never discover that they converge, but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Gordon posted from Spurgeon. God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are not something we can fully comprehend in this life.

    That reminds me of my days at Bible school. It was customary to sing a hymn at the opening of each class, and on exam days I was tempted to request these hymns to open class with:

    "I am not skilled to understand"

    or

    "I know not how God's wondrous grace to me He hath made known"

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I agree that this is tough to comprehend - especially when we think in our typical western European terms. But God has blessed us with an object lesson through our son. He is truly not capable of maintaining society's standards, and yet is is expected to do so or else be incarcerated so as not to cause discomfort to society.

    His issues are not dangerous to others and are not the type of thing our society normally looks at as a reason to incarcerate a person. But we have been advised by every expert who has ever been involved with him that we should incarcerate him. Not because he endangers others, but because he makes it very difficult and uncomfortable for others.

    So this is not so foreign a concept to our society. It is just a concept we don't like to admit to because we have an odd sense of fairness requiring that a person be capable of any act that is required of him. This just simply is not the way things work. We are required to be perfect and yet the Bible tells us that no one is perfect. We are required to repent, and yet the Bible teaches us that no one can repent unless that repentance is granted to him by God. We are required to believe in Jesus Christ, and yet we are incapable of believing unless God infuses us with that faith.

    Because of my son, I no longer find this a difficult contradiction. I see it only as a glorious thing that shows God's ultimate soveriengty over everything. I see it as the ultimate reason to praise God that I have been chosen by him in spite of myself for the praise of the glory of his grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard, you are such a geek -- so move on over on the geek bench and make a space for me because this makes perfect sense.
    Well stated (for what that's worth coming from me as I am looney).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy - Please don't be offended, but I think we're two peas in a pod.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.