May 17, 2008

The best wife ever

Twenty-two years ago today I stood at the front of the church I had grown up in. I stood in front of a gathered assembly of more than 300 people—most of whom had known me since I was a toddler, many others who had driven hundreds of miles to observe the most lopsided example of someone marrying out of his league that has ever happened in history.

At the appointed moment, my beautiful bride entered the back of the sanctuary. All heads turned and then the people stood in respect as she walked the aisle towards me.

Twenty-two years ago today

My father (our pastor) began the ceremony by telling some personal anecdotes about the two he was marrying. First he talked about his son (me!) and told some stories that would have been embarrassing had everyone not already known them. Then he started to describe my bride. He got choked up as he talked about her character. At the time I was surprised that he was able to talk so easily about me and then got choked up talking about Kim. But looking back from 22 years in the future, I realize that he was struck with what a gem my bride really was.

Kim is extremely intelligent, committed, bright, energetic, a great cook! and an amazing artist in many ways. She has patience beyond measure and a strong desire to promote those things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, and of good report. She is known for her virtue. She is the very embodiment of the biblical virtuous woman.

My wife (now)

I don't deserve her. In fact, no one does. But God saw fit to give her to me. And she has put up with me for more than two decades now—showing that in addition to all the things I've already mentioned, she has immense stamina.

Thank you, Kim, for twenty-two fantastic years. I'm looking forward to the next 22.

2 comments:

  1. Richard,

    Tell Kim that my husband Gary said that she does not look nearly old enough to be married for 22 years. And he's not given to offering compliments that are undeserved!

    Congratulations! May the next 22 be all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy. When we got married, the Korean ladies I worked with got mad at me when they met her. They thought she was only 12 years old - and they had left Korea in part because of the arranged marriages that included young girls. They didn't talk to me for a couple of weeks.

    Thank Gary for the compliment. Kim will appreciate it. (As do I)

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.