April 29, 2008

You couldn't be more wrong than Wright

As Reverend Jeremiah Wright grabs more and more attention and hurts Barack Obama's campaign by making crazy statements we are treated to new rhetorical depths to which this man is willing to sink.

Yesterday Rev. Wright addressed the press club [story | transcript]. I listened to most of his talk while I worked. Various media outlets are reporting what they consider to be his most outrageous statements. But I have not heard a single report that addressed the worst statement I heard from Rev. Wright. Here's a quote:

Rev. Jeremiah Wright

Dr. Jones, in his book, God in the Ghetto, argues quite accurately that one’s theology, how I see God, determines one’s anthropology, how I see humans, and one’s anthropology then determines one’s sociology, how I order my society.

Now, the implications from the outside are obvious. If I see God as male, if I see God as white male, if I see God as superior, as God over us and not Immanuel, which means “God with us,” if I see God as mean, vengeful, authoritarian, sexist, or misogynist, then I see humans through that lens.

My theological lens shapes my anthropological lens. And as a result, white males are superior; all others are inferior.

Did you catch the phrase in the middle of this quote? "If I see God as superior, as God over us ... then I see humans through that lens.... And as a result, white males are superior; all others are inferior."

So Rev. Wright says that America is at fault for the attacks of 9/11. Rev. Wright says that the United States government created the AIDS virus to kill off black men. Rev. Wright says that we should not say "God bless America" but instead "God damn America."

None of these statements is nearly as bad as Rev. Wright's implication that God is not superior to us. He is right that our theology shapes our anthropology, and our anthropology shapes our sociology. And I think he has revealed in this statement why his anthropology and sociology are so amazingly skewed. His theology is terrible and obviously does not spring from scripture.

My question is: Why would Rev. Wright or Barack Obama or anyone else worship a God who is not superior to us?

3 comments:

  1. I've also seen Rev. Wright in the news today claiming that those who are upset with him are actually upset with Jesus.

    I agree with your question here.
    Here is a link which you might find interesting that might answer your question to a certain degree
    .
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/JC18Aa01.html

    Blessings in Christ,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandy, that was very interesting. The author's thought about Obama hooking up with this church for political reasons and that now the tables have turned gives me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, those who are upset with Wright now have a problem with God! That reminds me of what Ron Henzel once said about Gothard. I'll have to look it up and see if I can find out what it was about.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.