April 14, 2008

Corrupt communication

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Remember the days when mothers would wash their children's mouths out with soap? I do. I still have an aftertaste of Ivory Soap 40 years later. A Christian comedian once suggested that our mothers may have chosen which soap to purchase at the store based on how bad it tasted. There may be some truth to that. But our mothers were trying to teach us that we should not be using rotten language or using language intended to be mean to others.

Sometimes God has to wash our mouths out with soap as well. I believe God did that to me this weekend.

When Job's friend Elihu spoke up at the end of the long speeches made by the older men, he pointed out to Job that God will bring unpleasant circumstances into our lives to move us closer to Him. Sometimes the evils in our lives are placed there to keep us on the "straight and narrow."

Philippians 2:12—13
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

This past weekend was chock-full of those kinds of circumstances. Not nearly as bad as what Job went through, but unpleasant nonetheless.

Through various wise pastors over the past few days, I have been reminded that:

  1. I must stand up against untruth, but must do it in a spirit of love and meekness (1 Peter 3:15) - Pastor Dick Gelina
  2. I am called to pursue peace with all people (Hebrews 12:14) - Pastor Mike O'Brien
  3. I am to let no corrupt communication come out of my mouth, but rather speak edifying language, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.(Ephesians 4:29) - Pastor John Piper

The process of sanctification is a tough one, and often has unpleasant prods along the way. But praise the Lord, he is still working on me.

5 comments:

  1. Richard, God bless you. Isn't he working on us all, every single day? I am glad that you are blessed with good pastors and advisors. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - God has blessed me greatly with a wealth of wise counselors to cattle prod me back onto the path. My father (Dick Gelina) is an outstanding man and is always able to get my attention with gentle reminders in the middle of edifying and encouraging statements. I hope that someday I'll be able to do this as well for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard,
    Good thoughts this morning for me. I've found and am still finding that my biggest downfall can be what comes out of my mouth. Speaking the truth in love is such an easy thing to say but such a difficult thing to do. We are to be gracious in our speech but we are also to season it with salt. How easy it is sometimes to just be nice and not speak the truth and then, sometimes, it's easier to just be "salty." Thank God He, Who began the good work in us, will be faithful to complete it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I have been dealing with something similar this very same weekend, and the Lord has been telling me the exact same things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your honesty on this one. Good words, good reminders.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.