January 31, 2008

Gossip, talebearing, and prudence

I find it so difficult to control my tongue. It is very easy to join the gossip-fest or to add fuel to the fire of conversations that should not have taken place to begin with.

Unfortunately, this all-too-prevalent vice is an easy snare for many of us—partly because it is so prevalent. I know that I am likely to say disparaging things about people who I think are doing the same thing against me. It's almost like the opposite of the Golden Rule: Do unto others because they're doing unto you."

In my devotions today I read chapter four of The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis. I am including it in its entirety here because it is so wise and so needed:

Prudence in Action
DO NOT yield to every impulse and suggestion but consider things carefully and patiently in the light of God’s will. For very often, sad to say, we are so weak that we believe and speak evil of others rather than good. Perfect men, however, do not readily believe every talebearer, because they know that human frailty is prone to evil and is likely to appear in speech.

Not to act rashly or to cling obstinately to one’s opinion, not to believe everything people say or to spread abroad the gossip one has heard, is great wisdom.

Take counsel with a wise and conscientious man. Seek the advice of your betters in preference to following your own inclinations.

A good life makes a man wise according to God and gives him experience in many things, for the more humble he is and the more subject to God, the wiser and the more at peace he will be in all things.

7 comments:

  1. Oh did this hit home! Gossip and too much talk is the biggest sin I struggle with. The Lord taught me a long, painful lesson about this last year, but believe it or not, I STILL struggle. Your devotion words are very encouraging and I will print and ponder them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy - I'm glad to see you back. I've missed your comments over the past week and a half or so.

    I think you would really love Thomas a Kempis' "The Imitation of Christ." It is very convicting and makes you view thing from a new perspective. At least that's how it is impacting me.

    I think it is most likely public domain and available for free online, if you don't mind reading it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard, thanks very much. Looks like food for thought, and good food at that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now that I have looked at it online, I must have a copy of my own to hold and highlight, so I ordered one this a.m. off of abebooks. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Peggy. This book came to me by recommendation from my sister about 4 years ago. I wish I had begun reading it back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Peggy. I was signed in on my other blog and ended up posting without switching my login. Proorizo (Greek for "predestined" - kind of a play on my wife's blog, The Chosen Child) is me.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.