August 06, 2009

Striving together in prayer

 

Y

ou’re not in it alone.

I have been convinced in recent days of the necessity for Christians to show love to one another. This may sound like an obvious thing, but I don’t think we do such a good job at it.

I have been somewhat self-focused for the past few months as we have struggled with finding a new home to live in. But along the way, many of my Christian brothers and sisters have gone through severe trials as well. Close friends of mine have made emergency trips to the hospital, others have gone through surgery, some have lost their jobs, some have seen severe illness hit multiple immediate family members at the same time. If I remain focused on myself, I am not able to encourage those friends and I forget to hold them up before the throne of grace.

James 1:2-7

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

My friend Meg McGinnis has been going through some tough times recently. She has written about it on her blog, Meg’s Journey. Meg posted a recent article in which she discussed The Testing of Our Faith. She quotes James 1:2–7 in that post. This is a great encouragement and something we all need to remember as we go through our own trials.

And then we need to remember to take the time to encourage others and to pray for them. I think it actually helps us to realize that others are in need of our support, our encouragement, our prayers, and our love.

3 comments:

  1. Rich,

    I stand in awe!! This morning I've been running around in preparation for my 8 hour car ride south, to attend the funeral of my great-grandmother. I decided that I needed to sit down and write a few words in my blog....then I came across your note and this incredibly encouraging post. Thank you for being such an amazing friend and blessing! I stand in awe right now of everything the Lord is doing in my life. Every time I get in the car the music on the radio seems to touch just the right spot. Every encouraging e-mail seems to come at just the right moment. Every verse I read in the Bible seems to speak directly to me. I stand in awe! Never in my life have I had such a desire to walk to that mountaintop and shout "Hallelujah". I find myself in a place right now that I never thought I would be in, yet I can't help but say "Lord, thank you for this trial, may I become more like you as I take this journey." I stand in awe of His love and grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, your words remind me of a song Kristyn Getty sings, "Jesus, Draw Me Ever Nearer" Here is a link to the lyrics.

    http://www.gettydirect.com/lyrics.asp?id=149

    You may be able to hear the song in its entirety on imeem. Rich may be able to help you with that.

    Thanks for being willing to share your walk of faith with us Meg!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - I'm glad to hear that you are resting in the arms of God. He won't let you down.

    Here's the link for the song Mary mentioned. It is not available for full-length streaming, so I can't embed it on the blog. But you can click this link.

    ReplyDelete

No personal attacks. No profanity.

Please keep your comments in good taste. Leave a name so we know who you are. Your comments are welcome, but anonymous flames and sacrilege will be deleted.